Paint Tiny Homes for the Unhoused and More Outdoor Fun!
When does the Project start?
About the Project
Have you driven by the field next to the Mittleman Jewish Community Center (MJCC) in SW Portland and wondered what's going on with the growing village of tiny homes there? When we learned about the project, our reaction was, "Wow! This is sooooo cool! We need to help with this great cause!"
This great cause is Cascadia Clusters. Cascadia Clusters trains unhoused Portlanders to build affordable, sustainable, and high quality transitional housing structures--whereby empowering the trainees to regain dignity, independence, and employability. The focus of Cascadia Clusters' work is building Tiny Homes On Wheels (THOWS) and other small-footprint structures with up-cycled materials. Their latest project is creating shower/laundry units for tiny home communities for the unhoused. Here’s where we come in!
Cascadia Clusters (CC) invites volunteer groups to support them in their work. So, thirty Positive Charge! PDX volunteers have the opportunity to help with painting shower/laundry units (they're already built) AND digging out blackberry brambles in the work area.
- Participants who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 are required to wear a face mask.
- Ages 12+ welcome, but children under 18 must be supervised by an adult
- Bring THICK WORK GLOVES
- (Optional) If you have one, bring a long-handled shovel
- Wear work/hiking BOOTS or STURDY SHOES and CLOTHING YOU DON'T MIND GETTING DIRTY
- No water on site; can bring in buckets of water or other methods for washing hands
- Bring snacks/drinks/water for yourself
- Consider bringing a hat and sunscreen (hopeful thinking!) . . . or rain gear (pray not needed!) / We'll be there rain or shine (but will cancel if we have another dangerous heatwave)
- (Optional, no pressure!) If you're so inclined, Cascadia Clusters encourages volunteers to bring $25+ Fred Meyer gift cards for the on-site construction trainees who live in the houseless communities CC serves.
Space is limited, so be sure to RSVP soon! Even if you can only come for one hour of the entire 3-hour period, you're welcome! Also, this is an intergenerational event, open to ages 12 and above. If you plan to bring minors, please register separately for each person, noting in the appropriate field that the individual is a minor. You also will need to print out, fill out, and bring along this Waiver for Your Child and/or this Waiver for Adults/You. Thank you for your kind attention to these requirements.
FINALLY, please see our Terms, Conditions, Liability Release and Photo Authorization. You will be asked to agree to these when you RSVP. Thanks for helping us to take care of paperwork upfront, so we can spend every moment at the event getting our "positive charge"! P.S. If you do NOT want to have your photo taken, please mention this to the PC! PDX Angel in charge when you arrive so we can be sure to identify you.
We can’t wait to work with you on this feel-good project, creating another positive impact in our community!