Little Mercies Backpack Assembly & Card Making
When does the Project start?
About the Project
Since the beginning of July, we've been collecting items to send to Little Mercies. This nonprofit, headquartered in San Diego, is collaborating with social workers at the Mexico-US border to get the items into the hands of migrant children living in shelters in Tijuana as their families await court dates in the US. Our collection is ongoing through September 7th.
On September 8, we'll be gathering to compile the much-needed comfort items and necessities, which we will assemble into backpacks along with handwritten cards of hope and kindness. Supplies to bring could include: markers, stickers, scrapbook paper, ribbon, scissors, and the like.
You might have your KIDS join you for this Positive Charge! afternoon . . . or have them write messages at home that you bring to us on September 8. This is a great project for parents to use as a teaching tool to help their children understand the humanitarian crisis occurring at the Mexico-US border shelters. For a great blog by Dr. Scott Spencer of Pediatric Associates of the NW on "How to Talk with Your Child About the Humanitarian Crisis at the Border," go to portlandpediatric.com/panw-blog/parenting/the-humanitarian-crisis-at-the-border-how-to-talk-to-with-your-child.
WHAT TO WRITE???
One of the Little Mercies social workers who delivers the backpacks in Tijuana told us that the messages can be in Spanish or English. If they're in English, she personally translates and reads the cards to the kids when they receive the backpack. She also offered some ideas of what might be written:
"BE SURE TO INCLUDE FIRST NAME AND WHERE YOU ARE LIVING!
With the backpack, you are sharing signs of:
- Friendship without borders (differences don't divide us but enrich us)
- Brotherly love (because we are all human beings living in the same home, our planet)
- Solidarity (because we are against violence, family separation, and war
Other ideas to use as starting points:
- We all belong to ONE family, humanity.
- We want to build bridges that allow us to engage with one another rather than walls that separate and divide us.
- We believe a better world is possible and are committed to this task.
- We believe in you!
- Wherever you may be, always dream you can change your path and build a new world for yourself and your family.
We look forward to seeing you on Sunday, September 8th!